Do men wear engagement rings?
Of course! There is no reason that, as a man, you should shy away from wearing any sort of jewellery, if that’s what you want. An engagement ring is a symbol of love, and a promise of respect and commitment shared between you and your partner. Having a jewellery piece symbolise such a special union is one way to remind you what’s most important in life. And anyway, it’s a long held tradition – engagement and promise rings have been worn throughout history by both men and women, dating all the way back to Ancient Egypt.
What finger do men's engagement rings go on?
Men’s engagement rings are traditionally worn on the fourth finger of the left hand, just like women’s engagement rings. The fourth finger is also where you traditionally place your wedding ring. Due men’s rings being slightly larger, you may be unable to wear both your engagement ring and wedding band side by side. In the end, your ring placement really depends on personal preference, and what feels most comfortable to you.
What’s the difference between white gold or platinum?
Both white gold and platinum are excellent metals, and there is no wrong choice in purchasing either. In terms of colour, white gold and platinum are virtually identical, and both are intensely bright. Both are also very sturdy and durable, with platinum being slightly stronger and less likely to bend. White gold, on the other hand, is slightly less expensive compared to platinum. However, you may need to replate a white gold ring every two years, as its rhodium plating can wear off. A platinum ring will sometimes need to be polished to remove any surface imperfections (known as 'patina'), but won’t change its colour.
When should I wear my engagement ring?
Your engagement ring is something that is completely personal to you, so it’s only natural you should be able to wear it whenever and however you want. Most people like to wear their engagement ring every day, just like a wedding ring. Diamonds rings have the added benefit of being durable and very resistant. However, you should remember to remove your ring from time to time, especially when doing manual labour, as you risk damaging the metal and any diamonds or gemstones set into the band.
How should I clean my engagement ring?
Our team recommends cleaning your engagement ring approximately every two weeks. If you carry out a lot of household tasks, do outdoor activities, or handle a lot of products day-to-day, you’ll need to clean your ring more often to prevent the build-up of residue.
How to clean your engagement ring:
- Fill a small bowl with warm water and a little soap. Some gentle dishwashing soap is ideal.
- Place your ring in the bowl and leave it to soak for 15 minutes. This will loosen any residue build-up.
- Ensure your sink drain is covered, then rinse your ring under some warm water.
- Use a soft, clean toothbrush to remove any remaining dirt. We recommend using this toothbrush solely for cleaning jewellery.
- Use a lint-free cotton cloth to dry your ring. Let it air dry for up to half an hour before you wear it again.
- Avoid using paper towels or harsh chemicals, such as bleach and commercial jewellery cleaners. They can damage the ring.If you purchase an engagement ring from 77 Diamonds, you can visit us for a free ultrasonic cleaning service. We recommend doing this once or twice a year.